Saturday 15 September 2012

The Firewood Special No1 The most enviromentally guitar ever?

In between other projects and having a new arrival in the family. I challenged myself to making a guitar completely out of recycled stuff.  A  rummage through my scrap wood pile destined for the fire and grabbing all the other necessary stuff from my parts bin and scrap metal bin I came up with this beast.

So not quite 100% recycled as the cable pins are new and I used a bit of solder wood stain and of course the glue, but every other part is. even the strings, electric wires etc, I even used some waste paint that I get from my local paint shop.


To make this even more environmentally friendly I used the minimum amount of resources to finish it. It has been sanded enough to take any rough edges off and then given a wood stain and a beeswax polish. most of  the wood is as found.

It has 4 strings.  A bass string and 3 guitar strings. It's a 2nd bass string and 2nd 3rd 4th guitar strings Tuned to D D,A,D.

The neck is an old Fender Starcaster one. The pointy arrow shape which is a terrible neck hence why Ive used it for a slide guitar.

The top bout of the body is from a horrible plywood Strat which I quickly attacked with the belt sander
The rest of the guitars body is made from Mahogany pieces.

I don't know where the Humbuckers come from but they look to be pretty cheap and nasty. I wired them together in effect to make 1 4 coil pickup.

An old volume and tone control attached to a bit of old steel sheet. (tone doesn't do much if anything).

The nut is carved from solid bone found in the hedge.

The bridge is from a brass off cut.

Various old tuning machines.

How does it sound?  Well pretty damn raucous!

I'll be putting this on Ebay as an Auction soon.


















 

No comments:

Post a Comment