Sunday 27 February 2011

My Yamaha Pacifica 112j

This is my Yamaha Pacifica 112 (I think j but not sure.)
I bought this new early 1994. It was my second guitar, my first been some crappy black Les Paul copy that I bought secondhand which I ended up burning.
The Pacifica has been my main guitar since I bought it. For a long time it was my only guitar.
It's had a hard life. It's been gigged and transported with no case at all.  painted on, stickered to death left lying around and generally not been treated with any respect. Up until last year it had become quite unplayable due to fret wear and dodgy control pots and I had replaced it with an Indie Guitar. But I missed it so I decided to restore it.
I  saw a complete electric assembly including G&B pickups from a Sterling (By Musicman) Silo 30 on Ebay for a tenner put a bid in and won them. Bargain considering this is fitted to a £400+ guitar.
I also redressed the frets sanded the paint and removed all the stickers. (The band I was in was a bit punky so stickers on your guitar are a must!) fitted the new pups and controls and wow! It always was a very nice guitar to play but with the better pups it now sounds awsome although I loved the sound  the old pups had real scratchy and shreddy.
It's also common practice to upgrade the tuners However I'm leaving the stock ones on as they are perfectly good. believe me I use the whammy a lot and do a lot of bending so if it's going to go out of tune it will. The Grovers on My Indie don't hold up as well as these.
You can see from the pics that the lacquer has yellowed leaving lighter patches where the stickers and paintings where.

(Click on Pics for larger image)





No comments:

Post a Comment